Monday, January 28, 2013

Thierry Henry 'pushing me' to complete Arsenal buy-out, claims Alisher Usmanov who attacks club's owners

Arsenal shareholder Alisher Usmanov has said that former striker Thierry Henry is "pushing him" to complete a buy-out of the club.


The Uzbek-born billionaire, who owns a 30 per cent stake in the north London club also had a swipe at the club's transfer policy which has seen Arsene Wenger build two teams, one that now plays for the club's rivals and one trying to compete with the best in the Premier League.
During Wenger's tenure, Robin van Persie, Samir Nasri and Ashley Cole are just three of the club's biggest assets to have joined Premier League rivals.
In an interview with L'Equipe, Usmanov says when he had the chance to become one of the main shareholders in the club he was prevented to do so by "certain people preferring to make a profit and create, using me, an outside enemy."
Growing frustrated by being portrayed as a "pirate" by Arsenal's current ownership with owner Stan Kroenke owning two thirds of the club's shares, he is glad to have an Arsenal legend backing him.
"I like many footballers, and I'm in contact with some of them. Perhaps my favourite of the last ten, 15 years is Thierry Henry. He's pushing me to buy all of Arsenal's shares, but I cannot predict the future.


"When I had the chance to buy some shares and become one of the main shareholders in the club, I didn't hesitate for a second. I was even ready to take total control. That wasn't possible because certain people preferred to make a profit and create, using me, an outside enemy. I remain portrayed as a pirate, an enemy. They have won that game."
Usmanov hailed Wenger as one of the best coaches in the world but claimed that the current owners are making life too difficult for him.
"I think he deserves that players are brought in at Arsenal when they're needed.
"The best players, and not being satisfied with selling our best players to our rivals. If that happens, we can ask everything of him. But, today, he's sacrificed. Because of the policy, and we're all to blame. Everything's in Mr Kroenke's hands, and I hope he succeeds, even if he doesn't go along with my ideas."
He added: "The greatest achievement of Arsene Wenger is to have created two teams: the one that now plays for our rivals, and the one that is trying to be among the best in the Premier League."
Usmanov also reiterated his stance that his interest in Arsenal is one dictated by the heart rather than his wallet.
"It wasn't a question of money or prestige. It's a choice [to invest in the club] dictated by my emotions, those provoked in me by the club. And Arsenal's current situation remains an interesting investment.
"I would like to be useful for the club, and I can be. I understand football well, and can prove it, but I'll never force myself on anyone. For the moment, Arsenal don't seem to need me. But I remain convinced that Arsenal should have only one aim in every competition: first place and winning."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Macoku. Powered by Blogger.